Mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for almost any meal anytime of the year and is a staple for the Thanksgiving and Christmas feast. It is simply one classic of a dish that truly cannot be said no to. This vegan mashed potato recipe is very simple, easy to make, dairy free, smooth and super creamy and full of flavor. Adding blended soaked cashews make it irresistibly luxurious and deliciously rich. Light, soft, velvety, they simply melt in your mouth. Try this delectably tasty mashed potato with creamy cashewy goodness.
Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
5 to 6
Potatoes – ½ kg
Cashew nuts – ¼ cup (soaked overnight or
soaked in hot water for 15 mins)
Water – 2 to 3 Tbsp for blending cashews
Salt – ¾ tsp
Pepper – ½ tsp or to taste
- Another variation
Nutritional yeast – ½ to 1 tsp
Lemon – ½ to 1 tsp
Fresh herbs – to garnish
- Wash and peel and slice the potatoes to prepare them to cook. Place them in a boiling pot and cover it with enough water to cook. Cook them until soft and mushy.
- In the meantime in a blender jar, add 1/4 cup soaked cashews, 2 to 3 tbsp water and blend them into a fine paste.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and mash the potatoes with a fork until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes into a bowl and add blended cashew paste, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste and mix well. The creamy mashed potato is ready,
- You can play around with the taste of mashed potatoes by adding herbs, seasonings, flavors of your choice. Take 1/2 the quantity to make another flavor variation. Add 1/2 to 1 tsp nutritional yeast, 1/2 to 1 tsp lemon juice and mix well and garnish with herbs of your choice.