Breadfruit is a round starchy fruit that commonly grows in tropical climate. From the outside, breadfruit looks similar to it’s cousin, jack fruit. Ripe breadfruit is considered to be a fruit, but some folks refer to it as a vegetable when it’s mature and not fully ripened. They are plain in taste and are sponge like and picks up any flavor easily. They can be boiled, baked, roasted, curried and enjoyed. Breadfruit tawa fry is one of the classic recipe that is enjoyed thoroughly during the season. This easy fry recipe just involves marinating breadfruit slices in desired spices and pan frying them. Cook them to perfection and there you have soft, juicy, flavorful, oh so delicious fries that are perfect appetizers and are completely satiating.
15 medium pieces
Breadfruit slices, medium – 15
Gram flour – 2 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/8 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Water – 1 to 2 Tbsp
Oil to fry – 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Peel off the hard skin from breadfruit and cut the breadfruit into thin medium sized slices. Chop off the hard inner core. As the inside of bread fruit is gummy, apply oil to palms and chop. Soak the chopped slices in water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a container or a plate, add 2 tsp gram flour, 1/4 tsp chilli powder, 1/8 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp lemon juice and mix well. Add little water and make a fine paste.
- Now add chopped breadfruit slices to the above marinade and coat well. Keep aside for 20 to 30 mins.
- Heat a fry pan and place the coated breadfruit slices on the pan and drizzle some oil. Sprinkle some water, cover the pan and cook the slices in low medium heat until soft, flip and fry on the other side drizzling oil as needed.
- Remove them from pan and serve hot.